The Somerset Historical Center is a 150 acre rural history museum located 4 miles north of the town of Somerset, Pennsylvania. The Somerset Historical Center preserves the history of life in rural southwestern Pennsylvania from the times of the region's first farmers to the present day through exhibits, workshops and educational programs. The Historical Center serves as the headquarters of the Historical & Genealogical Society of Somerset County. Permanent orientation exhibits and videos can be seen in the Visitors Center, constructed in 1997. The Visitors Center is also home to the Historical Society’s Genealogical Research Library and additional changing exhibits.
Seasonally, you can visit the Historical Center's outdoor exhibits which include;
- 1770s Farmstead featuring a recreated Settler's Cabin
- 1830s Farmstead featuring a circa 1795 Farmhouse, Smoke House, Detached Kitchen, and Barn
- 1859 Walter's Mills Covered Bridge
- 1860s Maple Sugar Camp
- 1890s Cider Press
- Hoffman Exhibit Hall featuring trades of the region, including a recreated 1890s country store interior
- Fluck Exhibit Hall featuring agricultural equipment displays
The Historical Center’s major educational event is Mountain Craft Days, a three-day outdoor festival featuring 125 crafts persons, artisans, and entertainers interpreting the rural folkways of western Pennsylvania. The event is held annually on the first weekend after Labor Day and draws over 13,000 visitors to the site each September.
Guided tours of the Somerset Historical Center and its outdoor exhibits are available April 1 through November 1. The Visitors Center, Genealogical Library, and Museum Shop remain open throughout the year.
Other programs held throughout the year include changing exhibits, rural and regional craft workshops, special events, and lectures.
April 1 through October 31: Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through
Saturday; Open Noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
November 1 through March 31: Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
Outdoor guided tours available daily April 1 through October 31; last tour at 3:30 p.m.
- Adult . . . . . . . . (12 - 64) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $6.00
- Reduced . . . . . (65 and older). . . . . . . . . . . . $5.50
- Youth . . . . . . . (3 - 11) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$3.00
- Children . . . . . (under age 3) . . . . . . . . . no charge
Group rates available. For more information please contact the Historical Center at (814) 445-6077
Admission is free for members of the Historical & Genealogical Society of Somerset County
Somerset Historical Center
10649 Somerset Pike
Somerset, PA 15501
Telephone (814) 445-6077
Fax (814) 443-6621